WOMEN & FAMILIES
We have finally been set free from wearing a face mask and most social distancing guidelines! What a great time to celebrate Independence Day, which takes place on the 4th of July. This well celebrated holiday is in honor of the day the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776. This must be kept in mind as we enjoy cookouts, parades family and fun. This is a perfect time for parents to create a family activity to teach their children, freedom comes with responsibility.
As I was writing this article, I kept thinking back to how we sang familiar songs associated with our independence as a nation. We learned all the words and most people my age can sing them by heart today. My favorites were, “My Country Tis of Thee, The Star-Spangled Banner, and America the Beautiful.” This is another reason why I am proud to be a member of the Lions, to begin each meeting honoring God and our country and pledging service to others.
Here are a few ideas on how you can celebrate a safe and happy holiday with your family while honoring the true meaning of Independence Day!
1. Invite a veteran to your family BBQ and make it an Independence Day Theme.
2. Schedule a family outing, pack a picnic lunch and stay for a fireworks display. (Fireworks became a popular way to celebrate national prosperity and patriotism.)
3. Have the camera ready and capture moments of your celebration and make a scrap book of your memories.
4. Search the web or community calendar to see what other activities are going on in your community.
5. Look up safety rules and laws for home firework use, prior to your celebration.
In closing, I will end with famous quotes, “Those who won our independence believed liberty to be the secret of happiness." "With freedom comes responsibility." "Where liberty dwells, there is my country." "We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it." Accessed from web: 6-30-2021
Till next time…….
Mary E. Popovich
President, West Newton Lions Club
14-E Chair - Women and Families in Lionism