GLOBAL LEADERSHIP TEAM (GLT)
GLOBAL LEADERSHIP TEAM COORDINATOR MESSAGE - November 2021
The single best way to impact an organization is to focus on leadership development. There is almost no limit to the potential of an organization that recruits good people, raises them up as leaders, and continually develops them. - John Maxwell
November is a month when we traditionally give thanks. We celebrate Thanksgiving and the service of our veterans. As Lions, we are nearly 50% through our Lions year. It is a great time for us to find ways to thank those Lions that push our clubs forward, that lead our projects, that volunteer as officers, that challenge us to try new things, and that recruit our new members. We have a lot to be thankful for.
The Dalai Lama once quoted an African proverb like this: “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." We can all relate to this, right? It is so important to remind our members that they do make a difference. A little recognition can go a long way to keeping members motivated and feeling appreciated. There are many ways to recognize Lions. Be creative and have a little fun! Use recognitions to inspire your members, build enthusiasm, and get them more involved. Traditionally, we Lions love to give recognitions to members in the forms of fellowships or donations to Lions/community projects or causes important to a member. Here are some suggestions but there are many more:
• Lions of PA Fellowship, Lions of PA Foundation
• PIP Joseph L. Wroblewski Award, Lions of PA Foundation
• PDG John R Crone Fellowship, PA Lions Hearing Research Foundation
• Carl Shoemaker Fellowship, PA Lions Beacon Lodge Camp
• Walkway Tribute Brick, PA Lions Beacon Lodge Camp
• Melvin Jones Fellowship, Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF)
• Walkway Tribute Brick, Leader Dogs for the Blind
• Founders Tribute Plaque, Leader Dogs for the Blind
• Puppy Sponsor, Leader Dogs for the Blind
• Western PA Lions Hearing Foundation Fellowship
• Cindy Gregg Fellowship, Lions District 14-E Care-a-Van
• PA Lions Care for the Kids, Four Diamonds
You can also have a lot of fun celebrating your members by getting your Tail Twister involved. They are, after all, the life of the meeting! Come up with fun or funny ways to thank members. You can create your own awards. Here are some ideas:
• Early Bird Award – that one member who is first to arrive to everything. Maybe a bag of gummy worms?
• Class Clown or Comedian Award – the member whose humor gets us through those difficult times and keeps things light and fun. Perhaps a clown nose or squirting flower?
• Trailblazer Award – the member who pushes us to do new projects. There is this basketball team….
• Top Salesperson – every club has at least one member that could sell ice to Eskimos, right?
• Helping Hand Award – that member who helps with all the projects. Maybe an inflated surgical glove?
Be creative and come up with your own ideas. It doesn’t really matter how you recognize members and show your thanks. It just matters that you do. Casey Stengel, manager of the New York Yankees in the 1950’s once said, "There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say, 'what happened?’” Take some time this month to recognize those in your club that, in fact, do make things happen.
PDG Dave DeFazio
PDG David DeFazio
GLT Team Coordinator